The Competent Person Class offered by F.I.R.S.T. Choice Training is designed to train its students in the best practice methods of identifying and eliminating both existing and predictable fall hazards. Students will also be provided with an in-depth exposure to the hierarchy of fall protection, which begins with eliminating hazards, and progresses through administrative control systems the application of passive systems, restraint systems, arrest systems. Through the use of lecture, demonstration, and hands-on engagement, our highly trained and experienced instructors prepare students to assume the role of a Competent Person as specified by OSHA regulations and ANSI standards.
This class is intended for those who are assigned by their employer to take on the responsibilities of performing workplace assessments of fall hazards, selecting and assessing the compatibility of fall protection equipment, managing the jobsite fall protection program, and ensuring rescue procedures are in place and applicable to the given environment. OSHA requires a fully trained and knowledgeable Competent Person be present at every job, and F.I.R.S.T. Choice Training works with our customers to promote the highest standards of regulatory compliance and worker safety.
Upon completion, the student will be able to demonstrate knowledge of the following topics:
- Equipment selection, inspection and donning
- Fall prevention/restraint/arrest
- Fall hazard elimination
- Passive vs. active systems
- Fall arrest rescue systems
- Selection and usage of non-certified anchorages
- Authorized persons’ duties and responsibilities
- Competent persons’ duties and responsibilities
- Testing of fall protection equipment
- ‘Hands-on’ scenario of fall protection systems
- OSHA and ANSI standards of fall protection